A WordPress theme is a collection of files that work together to create the design and functionality of a WordPress website.
A Details Introductions to WordPress Themes
WordPress is one of the most popular website platforms on the market, used by over 30% of all websites around the world.
WordPress AND WordPress Dashboard makes it easy for users to manage their site and create a beautiful, custom design without any coding knowledge. WordPress themes are the building blocks of your WordPress website.
When choosing a WordPress theme, there are several factors you should consider. First, WordPress offers free themes as well as premium themes for purchase from third-party providers.
One of its biggest strengths is its flexibility and ease of customization, thanks to a large selection of WordPress themes available.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about WordPress theme, including how to find and install a WordPress theme, the difference between free and premium WordPress theme, and more.
WordPress Theme: An Overview
A WordPress theme is a collection of files that work together to create the design and functionality of a WordPress website.
Themes include template files, style sheets [css], images, and custom functions. WordPress theme can be either free or premium.
WordPress.org maintains a directory of both free and premium WordPress theme. WordPress themes are installed on WordPress websites using the WordPress “Appearance” menu.
WordPress users can choose from thousands of free and premium WordPress theme to build their site.
Free WordPress Themes
WordPress.org offers a wide selection of free WordPress theme for users to choose from. While free WordPress theme are a great way to get started, they generally don’t include as many features as premium WordPress theme.
In addition, free WordPress theme are not supported by WordPress.org, which means you’ll have to find support elsewhere if you encounter any problems.
That being said, free WordPress themes can be a great option for small businesses or personal websites that don’t need all the bells and whistles of a premium WordPress theme. If you are looking for a simple WordPress theme to get started, WordPress.org is the best place to start your search.
Premium WordPress Themes
Premium WordPress themes are themes that are sold by third-party providers. These themes generally include more features and functionality than free WordPress theme, as well as support from the theme developer.
While premium WordPress themes typically cost money, they can be a great investment for businesses or large websites that need a robust WordPress theme.
When choosing a WordPress theme, it’s important to do your research and compare different WordPress themes to find the one that best fits your needs. By following this guide on how to choose a WordPress theme, you’ll be able to confidently select a WordPress theme for your WordPress website.
Types Of WordPress Themes
WordPress themes come in a variety of different types. Here are some of the most popular WordPress theme types:
– Blog WordPress Themes: These WordPress themes are designed specifically for blogs. They generally include features like post formats, social media integration, and comment forms.
– Business WordPress Themes: These WordPress themes are designed specifically for businesses. They generally include features like contact forms, testimonials, and portfolio sections.
– E commerce WordPress Themes: These WordPress themes are designed specifically for eCommerce websites. They generally include features like shopping carts, product pages, and checkout forms.
– Magazine WordPress Themes: These WordPress themes are designed specifically for magazines. They generally include features like social media integration, post formats, and multiple column layouts.
– Photography WordPress Themes: These WordPress themes are designed specifically for photography websites. They generally include features like image galleries, light boxes, and full screen backgrounds.
Tips for Choosing a WordPress Theme
When choosing a WordPress theme, there are a few key things to keep in mind. Here are some tips for choosing WordPress themes:
– Consider what features you need in a WordPress theme: WordPress offers free and premium WordPress themes with varying levels of functionality. Take the time to consider which features your WordPress website needs, and choose a WordPress theme accordingly.
– Read reviews from other WordPress users: Before choosing a WordPress theme, be sure to read reviews from other WordPress users. This will give you an idea of how well the WordPress theme works and what other WordPress users think of it.
– Compare pricing for different WordPress themes: Premium WordPress themes typically cost money, but there is a wide range in pricing. Be sure to compare pricing for different WordPress themes before making a purchase.
– Download a WordPress theme demo: Many WordPress theme developers offer demos of their WordPress themes. This will allow you to test out the WordPress theme and see if it’s a good fit for your WordPress website.
How to install a new theme on your WordPress site From Dashboard:
1. Go to the WordPress dashboard on your website and click on Appearance > Themes. This will bring up a list of all the WordPress themes currently installed on your site.
2. Click on the “Add New” button at the top of the page, which will open the WordPress theme directory. Here you can browse WordPress themes that are available for download.
3. To select a WordPress theme, simply click on the “Install” button next to the theme you want to use. WordPress will automatically install and activate the WordPress theme on your site.
4. Once your WordPress theme has been installed, you can customize it by going to the WordPress dashboard and clicking on Appearance > Themes. Here you will see a list of all the WordPress themes installed on your site, including the one you just installed.
5. To customize your WordPress theme, simply click on the “Customize” button next to the theme you want to use. This will open the WordPress Customizer, which allows you to make changes to various WordPress theme settings.
6. You can choose different colors, fonts, layouts, and other design elements for your WordPress theme using the WordPress Customizer. Once you’re happy with your WordPress theme settings, click on the “Save & Publish” button at the bottom of the page to save your changes. Congratulations, you have successfully installed and customized your WordPress theme!
How to install WordPress themes using FTP Client?
- Download the WordPress theme that you want to install from your WordPress theme marketplace of choice.
- Unzip the WordPress theme folder and open it up in your FTP client.
- Locate the WordPress themes folder on your server by going to “wp-content > themes” using your WordPress dashboard or through your FTP client.
- Connect to your WordPress server using an FTP client and upload the WordPress theme folder into the WordPress themes folder on your server.
- Once the WordPress theme folder has been uploaded, you can activate it by going to “Appearance > Themes” from your WordPress dashboard.
- Find the WordPress theme that you installed in the WordPress themes folder and click the “Activate” button.
That’s it! You have successfully installed a WordPress theme using FTP.
How to change an existing WordPress theme
- Go to the WordPress dashboard on your website and click on Appearance > Themes. This will bring up a list of all the WordPress themes currently installed on your site.
- To activate a WordPress theme, simply click on the “Activate” button next to the theme you want to use. WordPress will automatically activate the WordPress theme on your site.
- Once your WordPress theme has been activated, you can customize it by going to the WordPress dashboard and clicking on Appearance > Themes. Here you will see a list of all the WordPress themes installed on your site, including the one you just activated.
- To customize your WordPress theme, simply click on the “Customize” button next to the theme you want to use. This will open the WordPress Customizer, which allows you to make changes to various WordPress theme settings.
- You can choose different colors, fonts, layouts, and other design elements for your WordPress theme using the WordPress Customizer. Once you’re happy with your WordPress theme settings, click on the “Save & Publish” button at the bottom of the page to save your changes. Congratulations, you have successfully activated and customized your WordPress theme!
Things to keep in mind when changing WordPress themes:
1. Create a WordPress backup:
Before making any major changes to your WordPress website, it’s always a good idea to create an up-to-date WordPress backup. This will allow you to restore your site if anything goes wrong during the WordPress theme change process.
2. Test your WordPress theme:
Changing your WordPress theme is a significant event for your website, so it’s important to make sure that the WordPress theme you choose is compatible with your WordPress plugins and other WordPress extensions. You can do this by first testing the WordPress theme on a staging site, or by using WordPress’ built-in theme preview mode.
3. Check for WordPress theme errors:
After installing and activating your WordPress theme, it’s important to check for WordPress theme errors. These errors can occur if your WordPress theme is incompatible with your WordPress plugins or other WordPress extensions.
4. Deactivate WordPress plugins:
Once you have installed and activated your WordPress theme, you should deactivate all WordPress plugins that are not absolutely essential for your website. This will help to minimize WordPress theme errors and ensure that your WordPress theme works smoothly on your live website.
5. Update WordPress plugins:
After deactivating WordPress plugins, you should update all WordPress plugins to the latest versions. This is important for ensuring compatibility between WordPress themes and WordPress plugins, as well as for providing additional security and performance improvements to your site.
6. Re-activate WordPress plugins:
Once you have updated WordPress plugins, you can re-activate them one by one, checking for WordPress theme errors after each activation. This will help you identify which WordPress plugins are causing WordPress theme errors on your site.
7. Check WordPress themes for updates:
WordPress themes are constantly being updated by their developers, so it’s important to check WordPress themes for updates regularly. This will ensure that you have the latest WordPress theme features and security updates on your site.
8. Update WordPress settings:
After changing WordPress themes, it’s also a good idea to update any WordPress settings that may be affected by the switch. These include WordPress permalinks, WordPress privacy settings, WordPress comments settings, and WordPress media settings.
9. Reset WordPress widgets:
After changing WordPress themes, you may also need to reset your WordPress widgets. To do this, simply go to the WordPress dashboard and click on Appearance > Widgets. Here you will see a list of all the WordPress widgets that are currently active on your site.
10. Check WordPress pages and posts:
Finally, after changing WordPress themes, it’s important to check all WordPress pages and posts to ensure that they are still displaying correctly.
Tips for customizing your theme to make it look just the way you want
1. WordPress child theme:
If you want to make changes to your WordPress theme without affecting the original theme files, you can create a WordPress child theme. A WordPress child theme is a WordPress theme that inherits the settings, design, and functionality of another WordPress theme (the parent theme).
2. WordPress customizer:
The WordPress customizer is a WordPress tool that allows you to customize WordPress themes without having to edit any code. To access the WordPress customizer, simply go to the WordPress dashboard and click on Appearance > Customize.
3. WordPress plugin:
If you want to add features or functionality to your WordPress website, you can do so by installing WordPress plugins. WordPress plugins are small pieces of software that can be installed on a WordPress website to add new features or functionality.
4. WordPress hook:
If you want to make changes to your WordPress theme without affecting the rest of the theme, you can use WordPress hooks. WordPress hooks allow you to modify WordPress themes without having to edit existing WordPress theme files.
5. WordPress code:
If you’re comfortable working with code, you can make changes to your WordPress theme by editing the WordPress theme files directly. WordPress themes are made up of a number of different WordPress template files, which control the various parts of the WordPress theme. You can access WordPress theme files by going to Appearance > Editor in the WordPress dashboard.
6. WordPress child theme modifier:
If you want to make a quick and simple change to your WordPress child theme, such as changing the color of text or adding custom CSS code, you can use a WordPress child theme modifier plugin. This type of WordPress plugin allows you to make changes to your WordPress child theme without having to edit any code. Some popular WordPress child theme modifier plugins include WP-Tweaks and WordPress Customizer.
The best places to find free and premium themes online
One of the best places to find WordPress themes is WordPress.org. WordPress.org is the official WordPress website where you can download WordPress for free. WordPress.org also has a directory of over 5,000+ WordPress themes that are available for free download.
Another popular place to find WordPress themes is Themeforest. Themeforest is a popular WordPress theme marketplace where you can find thousands of WordPress themes, both free and premium.
Template Monster is another popular WordPress theme marketplace that offers hundreds of WordPress themes in various categories and styles.
4. Mojo Themes:
Mojo Themes is another WordPress theme marketplace that offers both free and premium WordPress themes. Mojo Themes has a wide selection of WordPress themes in various categories, such as business, eCommerce, portfolio, and blog.
5. Creative Market:
Creative Market is a popular marketplace for creatives where you can find WordPress themes, graphics, fonts, and more. Creative Market has a wide selection of WordPress themes in various categories, such as business, blog, portfolio, and eCommerce.
6. WordPress Theme Club:
If you’re looking for a WordPress theme that is regularly updated, you may want to consider joining a WordPress theme club. WordPress theme clubs are subscription-based services where you get access to unlimited WordPress themes for one monthly fee. Some popular WordPress theme clubs include StudioPress Sites and Themify Ultra.
7. WordPress Theme Framework:
A WordPress theme framework is a WordPress theme that comes with a set of built-in features and options that you can use to create your own custom WordPress theme. Some popular WordPress theme frameworks include Genesis by Studio Press, Thematic, and Hybrid Core.
8. WordPress Multi-purpose Theme:
A WordPress multi-purpose theme is a WordPress theme that can be used for various types of websites. WordPress multi-purpose themes usually come with a lot of features and options to choose from. Some popular WordPress multi-purpose themes include Divi by Elegant Themes, Avada by Theme Fusion, and Enfold by Kriesi.
9. WordPress Parallax Theme:
A WordPress parallax theme typically features a parallax scrolling effect and allows you to create a website with an ultra-modern, trendy design. A WordPress parallax theme is perfect for building a professional website that highlights your products and services in style. Some popular WordPress parallax themes include North, Hestia, and Brooklyn.
10. WordPress One Page Theme:
A WordPress one page theme is a WordPress theme that allows you to configure a single page using multiple sections or modules. WordPress one page themes are great for creating websites with clear, concise content and easy navigation. Some popular WordPress one page themes include OnePage, Onepress, and Everest.
Whether you’re looking for a WordPress theme to create a business website, eCommerce store, portfolio site, or blog, there are plenty of options available online. By doing your research and considering the different WordPress theme types and styles out there, you can easily find a WordPress theme that fits your needs and helps you achieve your website goals.
I hope you liked this guide to WordPress themes, and that it will help you find the right theme for your website. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below. And if you found this article helpful, please share it with your friends!
Digital Marketing Expert
Hi, I’m Piyush, A Digital Marketing Expert with more than 7+ years of experience. He has worked with B2B companies to help them grow organically using SEO and Content Marketing.